Housing and Food Assistance Programs

2023 Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program

The annual Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) is available to eligible seniors across Allegheny County. Any eligible senior may receive one set of vouchers to be spent at participating farmers markets. One set of vouchers is worth $50.00 (issued as five vouchers worth $10.00 each). The vouchers may be used through November 30th to purchase produce that is grown in Pennsylvania or purchased directly from a Pennsylvania farmer. Eligibility:

  • Allegheny County resident
  • 60 years of age or older (by December 31, 2023)
  • Meet the income guidelines (self‐reported):
    • One person household: At or below $26,973
    • Two‐person household: At or below $36,482*
    • *Married couples may receive one set of vouchers for each individual
  • Older adults living in a residential facility that provides meals are not eligible to receive vouchers

Please see the attached flyers about Senior Center Voucher Distribution Sites for June 22. The closest location for Hazelwood will be at 945 Roselle Court Pittsburgh, PA 15207 from 9:00‐11:30 & 1:00‐3:00. Contact: David Washington (412) 422‐6554.

Whole-Home Repairs Program

Issues like damage to your home’s roof, windows, and foundation may make living there unsafe. You might also need to make modifications– entrances, walkways, and ramps−so that someone managing a disability can live there.

Apply for up to $50,000 in Whole-Home Repairs funds to pay for renovations done by one of our certified contractors. Not everyone who qualifies will be approved for renovation. With limited funding, we’re focused on homes with the most severe issues. Please contact ACTION-Housing at (412) 248-0021 or wholehomerepairs@actionhousing.org with questions.

Who can apply for Whole-Home Repairs funding? To qualify, an applicant must:

  • Own and live in a house needing repairs in Allegheny County.
  • Be living in a home with significant habitability issues like roof damage, unsafe electric wiring, or
    accessibility concerns.
  • Have a total income that doesn’t exceed 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for Allegheny
  • Whole-Home Repairs Program FAQ

How do I apply? Please apply online. Online applications will be processed more quickly.

McKeesport Housing Choice Voucher

You can still apply for McKeesport Housing Authority’s Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program. Click here for more information and to apply online.

URA Housing Stabilization Program

This program offers up to 6 months of assistance or a total of up to 6 months of assistance for people living in Pittsburgh or moving into Pittsburgh that make less than 50% of area median income if they are renters, or less than 80% of area median income if they are homeowners. This can provide help for issues such as rent, mortgage, move-in assistance, application fees, first and last month deposit. Applicants can apply once every three years. See details HERE.

URA Homeowner Assistance Program

The Homeowner Assistance Program (HAP) provides financial assistance up to $35,000 to homeowners at or below 50% of Area Median Income (AMI) for rehabilitating and improving residential owner-occupied properties within the City of Pittsburgh. See details HERE.

Whole Home Repairs Program

Applications will open on MAY 30th. Please keep in mind that given the small amount of funding available, the program is expected to only help about 2 homes in each neighborhood. They will be targeting THE MOST IN NEED households—those needing multiple repairs in their homes in order to stabilize them (ex: a roof, AND a foundation, AND a heating system—not just one), those with children, or environmental issues like lead and asthma. THIS PROGRAM WILL NOT BE FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED. Unfortunately, there will not be enough money to help even all of the most vulnerable this time around. You are encouraged to reach out to your state and federal representatives to talk about the need to fund this program permanently and with significantly more funding.

NIF Grant for Housing and Food Assistance

If you are a Hazelwood or Glen Hazel resident that needs help with your rent, mortgage, property taxes, or utilities, you can apply for our NIF Housing Assistance Grant. There is also a small number of $50 gift cards to help with food and basic needs. This program is funded by rents from Propel Hazelwood that we use as part of our efforts to prevent displacement. *Please note – Tiffany is out on bereavement leave until June 6th. Call the HI office for questions (412) 421-7234. We are sending our best thoughts and love to Tiffany at this time.